Cooking with Rod
Cooking is fun. It should be a chance for the cook to find ways to be creative and give others some delicious alternatives.
This recipe has multiple ways that you can create and enjoy substantive meals fairly quickly and almost foolproof.
Try this dish as described but keep in mind that this is extraordinarily versatile. It lends itself well to experimentation. So feel free to play with the recipe and create a dish unique to your own tastes.
Pollo Queso Rodrigo
(Serves 5 to 8, depending on size of chicken pieces)
* 2 bricks Velveeta style cheese
* 1 8 oz. brick Pepper Jack cheese, grated
* 2 lb. pkg. shredded Fiesta Blend cheese
* 1 can no beans Chili
* 4 8 oz. cans Green chiles, diced, (use liquid)
* 1 Bell Pepper, diced with membrane and seeds removed
* 1 cup whole milk (add as needed)
* 5 to 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 1 Tbsp. Red Chile powder
* 1 tsp. ground Cumin
* 1 tsp. Coriander
* 1 tsp. ground Oregano
* 2 pkgs. Knorr Mexican Rice (long grain rice and Vermicelli pasta blend) sides
* 2 pkgs. Knorr Taco Rice (long grain rice and Vermicelli pasta blend) sides
* Water as directed
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup Chunky Salsa Roja
* 2 cups Pico De Gallo
* Cilantro leaves, no stems
* 1 cup Fiesta Blend cheese, shredded (reserved from Queso)
* 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese, grated (reserved from Queso)
* Tostado chips to taste
Queso: Melt Velveeta in double boiler. Add no beans chili and half of both the Pepper Jack and Fiesta Blend cheeses. Add bell pepper. Continuously stir, allowing all ingredients to slowly blend, achieving a silky smooth texture. If needed, add milk in portions to keep Queso at right thickness.
Chicken: Whisk together spices. Rub on chicken breasts evenly. Broil chicken (center rack) on first side until golden brown, turn and broil on the other side. Chicken is perfectly done when juices run clear when the thickest portion is punctured.
Set aside, covered with aluminum foil to keep warm while preparing plates to serve.
Rice: Prepare as directed on package.
PREPARE SERVING PLATES:
Spoon equal portions of Knorr rice sides on each plate. Top with one or two chicken breasts. Spoon Queso over rice and chicken. Sprinkle shredded cheeses on each breast and rice.
Whisk together sour cream and Salsa Roja if desired OR add sour cream and salsa separately on plates of those who prefer it that way. Drizzle over chicken. (The blended sour cream and salsa makes a very tasty pink dressing that can be used on a variety of Mexican dishes and salads.)
Top each chicken breast with Pico De Gallo and cilantro.
Add Tostado chips around each plate just before serving.
Tastes great with a crisp salad and iced tea or lemonade.
Click on author's byline for bio and list of other works published by Pencil Stubs Online.