Food is one of my greatest passions. And of all the cuisines available, my special passion is Southwest-style delicacies. This dish is guaranteed to delight your taste buds while filling your belly with a warm, happy feeling. It's simple to prepare and heavenly to devour.
Pork Stew Rodrigo
3 lbs pork stew meat
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
28 oz diced Hatch mild green chiles (or Bueno frozen fire roasted Hatch mild green chiles chopped)
8 sm or 6 med potatoes diced
1/2 lg or 1 med onion diced
96 oz beef broth
3 pkgs. Knorr Mexican Rice mix
Water for rice (5 1/4 cups or per package instructions)
3 Tbsp. Chile powder
2 Tbsp. Cumin
1. Coat pork stew meat in red chile powder and cumin. Spray skillet with Pam. Brown meat on all sides. Set aside.
2. Dice potatoes and onion. Add to large stew pot with beef stock and cans of tomato and green chiles. Add stew meat, making sure to use a spatula to get all the pan drippings as well to enhance the flavor.
3. Cover stew pot and set heat to medium. Gradually bring contents to a boil. Immediately turn the element back to low heat.
4. Simmer at least one hour until potatoes are fork-tender.
5. In a separate pan prepare the rice according to instructions.
6. When ready to serve, place rice in the bottom of serving bowls (about halfway). Ladle out stew over rice. Serve.
Various garnishes could be made available for guests to choose. Cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, grated cheese, warm corn or flour tortillas, diced green onions, black beans, pintos, corn, and sour cream.
Click on author's byline for bio and list of other works published by Pencil Stubs Online.